An applicant must meet the following eligibility requirements as provided in the NMSA 29-7-6 and 4-41-10.
1. Be a citizen of the U.S.
2. Hold a high school diploma or the equivalent.
3. Hold a valid driver's license.
4. Has not been convicted or plead guilty to or entered a plea of no contest to any felony charge or, within the 7-year period immediately preceding his/her application, to any violation of any federal or state law, or local ordinance relating to aggravated assault, theft, driving while intoxicated, controlled substances or other crime involving moral turpitude and has not been released or discharged under dishonorable conditions from any armed forces of the United States.
5. Is free of any physical, emotional, or mental condition that might adversely affect their performance as a law enforcement officer or prohibit them from attending and successfully completing prescribed basic law enforcement training required by the Law Enforcement Training Act (DOF 2) or the Municipal Park Ranger Physical Fitness Test.
6. Is of good moral character.
7. Has met any other requirements for certification prescribed or approved by the Director of the department.
8. Shall be 18 years of age to be eligible for a Level I Park Ranger and must be 21 years of age by the date of hire to be a Level II Park Ranger.